Hive - Pillbug Expansion
The pillbugs throw a wrench into the works with yet another layer to an elegant game. Hive is chess 2.0, a game you can let your partner know you play on the regular and with a well designed expansion offers more and more complexity to a beautifully simple anywhere game!
Hive: The Pillbug is a new pair of tiles that can be added to Hive. The pillbug moves like the queen bee, one space at a time, but it also has a special ability that it may use instead of moving. This ability allows the pillbug to move an adjacent unstacked piece (whether friendly or enemy) two spaces: up onto the pillbug itself, then down into another empty space adjacent to itself.
Some exceptions for this ability:
- The Pillbug may not move the piece most recently moved by the opponent.
- The Pillbug may not move any piece in a stack of pieces.
- The Pillbug may not move a piece if it splits the hive (violating the One Hive Rule).
- The Pillbug may not move a piece through a too-narrow gap of stacked pieces (violating the Freedom to Move Rule).
- Any piece moved by the Pillbug may not be moved at all (directly or via the Pillbug action) on the next player's turn.
Game time: 20 minutes